f Second Generation Connection: Looking for a Christmas Present for me?

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Looking for a Christmas Present for me?

Most of you know that I work in the technology business. Many of my friends also work in the technology business too. Many of us share the same passion for new cool products. I decided to add some Web links to some new products & web sites that I either recently became interested in or was turned on to and thought were cool. I have a friend Marc, who I have known since college. He could have started up his own successfull marketing research firm, because of his ability to discover the coolest toys before anyone else did. He usually had them 2 years earlier than everybody else. I told him thinking back I could have probably made some money off of his purchasing habbits had I had money to invest back then.

I actually pulled off a Marc purchase 2 years ago. I purchased my first Apple Ipod. At the time I kicked around buying their stock but I didn't. What a mistake that was. The stock has since doubled and split. I'll save my investment advice for another post.

Anyways the links I added to the blog, have some of the things I think are pretty interesting and I think are on the verge of gaining more widespread adoption. The first one is Digital SLRs. Remember the Canon A1 and AE-1. Well they now have digital versions of these cameras. The image resolution has now gotten to the point where it is just as good as film based cameras for typical users like you and I. Pictures from these cameras can now be enlarged to 10"X12" without any degradation in quality. Very few people ever really blow up pictures bigger than that. Once prices come down a little more, I think you will start to see alot of folks buying these cameras. The one I have been keeping my eye on is the Canon Rebel XT 8 megapixels. It provides the ability to interchange zoom lenses. The first link is to an awesome site that provides camera reviews and photo samples. So if you are looking to get me a gift for christmas any Canon camera on this site will do :-)

The next site is a new technology I think you will be seing in more and more web sites. The link is to a news web site which isn't uncommon. What is uncommon is how they present the news. This web site uses image map technology to figure out which news is being most commonly reported and it graphically sizes the display to reflect the magnitude of the story. This quickly allows you to see how news organizations bias news reporting. It also lets you see what is creating a buzz by industry and country. I expect that many other web sites and applications will start to license and use this technology. Another web site that also uses this technology is SmartMoney.com

The last cool product that you'll likely hear about next year is from Apple. They are working on making their Mac OS run on Intel Machines. This is very very cool. Mac has a beautiful graphical user interface. Having the ability to run either a Mac OS X or Windows XP OS on the same box I think will bring even more people to move over to the Mac. The only thing is that it still requires you to buy Macintosh hardware. If only they just made it work on any Intel Based machine... but I guess the Mac experience isn't just the UI it is the whole package.. literally even the package their products ship in is very cool.

Hope you like the Cool Technology links and if you know of any other cool technology, products or sites pass them along to me. Post them on the comments to this post and I will add them to the links!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home