f Second Generation Connection: Surviving to adulthood

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Surviving to adulthood

My wife often kids me about how my brother and I survived to become adults. Usually she says this, after I tell her many of the stories about growing up as a kid. I think nah.. it wasn't that bad.. but when your brother has just as many crazy stories as you do about growing up then you realize; Yeah maybe you were pretty lucky to make to adulthood. Tony shared an interesting story about how while my father was sleeping, he decided to make himself some food on the stove. He was only 3 or 4 years old. Since my dad worked in the evenings he slept during the day when my mom was at work. One day while dad was a asleep, Tony turned on the gas oven. Luckily my dad woke up and turned of the gas. Then I thought about how many other stove incidenty had happened growing up. We had 2 grease fires back in Cumberland. I remember the Fireman saying hey haven't we been in this house before for a fire... I was like nah you must be mistaken. Who would have 2 grease fires in the same house. I guess having to deal with some adversity when your young helps you better handle it when your older. Make sure to give your kid some adversity.. I think sometimes kids including my own don't get enough of it now a days.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I woke him up. He just didn't wake up :) T

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home