f Second Generation Connection: Cheap Entertainment Anyone?

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Cheap Entertainment Anyone?

Tonight at dinner, Susan shared the news about how the City of Taunton has not lifted the state of emergency. Many of the rivers in New England have swollen upto the tops of their river bank because of all the rain that has fallen in the past couple of weeks. The Mill River Dam in Taunton is on the verge collapsing and flooding the entire city. As a precaution the city has been evacuated. The city officials are preventing people from entering the town.

River watching was something we use to do as kids growing up. After several really large storms would hit, we would go check out the Blackstone river. One of the better spots to watch the river was the border between Central Falls and Cumberland. The Broad Street Blackstone river bridge. During really large storm events you would often find many cars parked along Broad Street by the bridge. We would stand on the sidewalks and bend over the waist high granite block rails. The water level would barely clear the bottom of the old granite arched bridge during large storms. A wall of water about 10 feet above normal water levels would roar under the bridge and over the dam that was 30 yards down stream of the bridge. After flowing over the dam, the water would explode into white water rapids. It felt like being on a carnival ride standing on the bridge looking into the raging river. I would always end up having nightmares of falling into the river and getting swept over the dam. In the dream, I would always struggle to see if I could swim to the side of the river banks before the river swept me over the dam.

Growing up as kids we often had inexpensive ways to entertain ourselves. Kids are very ingenious at discovering ways to have fun even especially those that aren't spoiled with alot of materialistic things. I would say cheap entertainment is a core family value. I have many other examples of inexpensive fun things we would do as kids that I could share with you but I would rather hear some example from you! By the way, it looks like you can now take boat rides from the Broad St Bridge.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tony Ferreira said...

Ton of people there on Sunday. Dad had a ton of water in the basement. The fireman pumped the water out. Helped dad with the remaining water and got pizza for dad and mom. I don't know if you saw in the news but they evacuated the build avo was at I had to pick her up that day. Saturday was crazy. CF 5-0 where on cite at the bridge, water was really bad and news crews where on site. I should of toook some pics but was too busy. A few houses near Ann and Hope werre underwater it is crazy.t.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home