f Second Generation Connection: Dressed Up for School Pictures

Monday, January 09, 2006

Dressed Up for School Pictures

I realize it has been a while since I posted a family value posting. So here it goes. For those that don't like them you can stop reading here. For the others read on.

A picture is worth more than a 1000 words. It reloads lost memories and reminds you of some things you might have forgotten or that you don't have time recall or ponder. My friend John emailed me a school class picture from 1974. I honestly can't remember if it was my first or second attempt at first grade. This was a consequense of having only been in the US for a short time and not knowing how to speak english.

I wouldn't be able to tell you when we have to get the kids dressed for school pictures. It seems work and the other things we do with our kids keeps me very busy. Thankfully my wife is great at keeping up with what needs to be done for school and by when it needs to be completed. With my mom working the first shift and my dad working the third shift, I was suprised to find that I was dressed for the school picture. The fact that we couldn't afford to buy the school picture is irrelevant. I was also the best dressed guy in the picture. Well, maybe I was the second best dressed after the guy standing to left of me at the end of the row. You have to like that plaid suit and those glasses.



I have a tremendous respect and regard for what my parents have accomplished in their lives and their upbringing of me and my brother. My writing could never do justice to this. This picture provided me yet another example of this. My parents didn't know how to speak or read english but some how figured out that I needed to be dressed up for school pictures. So guess what, "Being well dressed is a family value!"
After this school year, we moved out of this town. Oddly enough, 18 of the 24 kids continued on to middleschool and highschool. Five years later my family returned to the same town. I ended up going to highschool with many of these boys and girls. One of them named John ended up going to college with me. He was also in my wedding party. Makes you wonder what my response would be if I was asked "Do you think you will be friends with some of your classmates when you get older?" Yes!

There is a great documentary called "7 & Up" that actually did something like this. A film company in England picked a first grade class of 7 year olds. They interviewed the students every 7 years. Each time they asked them the same sets of questions to see how their answers would change over time and if the future brought them what they expected. I saw the first 7 Up at the Theatre off of Thayer Street in Providence . Most recently I saw 35 Up (The fifth documentary). The lastest version of the documentary is 42 & up. This documentary shows how life can be both cruel and rewarding to everyone. I highly recommend that you check out the documentary. Let me know what you think of the documentary and this post. Post a comment!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home