Adventerous to the point of being stupid.
There have been several times in life that I have done things that I realize only afterwards were probably to adventurous to the point of being stupidly dangerous. The most recent example of this was while travelling last week in Madrid Spain. After all the customer visits I wanted to take one last walk through the city to capture some of the great sites in photos. I took the metro downtown and began walking along a park that borders the city in the most southern part of the city. As I walked I stumbled on this very cool looking gondola that was being transported out of my site into the tree line right in front of me. The sun was beginning to set so I ran ahead to find the boarding location of the gondola ride. I ask the attended for a departure and return ticket. He said that they were closing and only had departure tickets. I asked how long of a walk it would be and he mentioned 20 minutes. I figured hey what the heck, the last night in Madrid to be able to get some cool shots from the sky. Go for it. Well very quickly after boarding the gondola I realized that I was in trouble. Before getting on I thought no problem, after I get off the gondola ride I will hail down a taxi or get on the nearest Metro stop. I quickly realized these assumptions would not be correct. As I followed the Gondola cable into the distance it disappear into the horizon into a sea of forest and park land. In fact 4 kilometers into the woods. When I got off the Gondola the attendant was shocked to actually see anyone taking the ride all the way out there at that time. He unlocked the facility to let me out. I asked do you have a map or do you know where the nearest metro station is. He said it is about 30 minute walk out the left rear of the building. The map he gave me had the detail of a drawing an 8 year old kid might draw. Once outside I ran into a Motorcycle police man in the parking lot. I asked him if he could provide me better directions to the metro. He shook his head like indicating no while he thought about how in the world he would explain these complicated directions to get to the metro through the woods where there were no street signs or any other physical landmarks. At that point when I saw the police officer's concern I knew I was in trouble. He pointed about 4 km away and said keep walking in that direction. Look for Batan which is the name of the train station. I began to recall what the hotel attendant told me the first night I was in the city. She said "In Madrid there are lots of PIG Pockets keep your bag in your front." Here I am with a very expensive camera walking alone through the park woods as the sun is setting looking like an American. Can you say STUPID!!!!! Yeah. Anyways I ran into a jogger and then a couple who both pointed me in the general direction after doing a couple of loops. It took me 45 minutes of walking very very briskly but I finally made it to Batan the metro and safety!
Here are some pictures I hope you like them.
My First and last glimpse of Madrid Spain, The airport. Perhaps the nicest airport I have ever been in.

Royal Palace Madrid Spain taken from the gondola
Plaza De Sol

Plaza De Sol
Here are some pictures I hope you like them.
My First and last glimpse of Madrid Spain, The airport. Perhaps the nicest airport I have ever been in.


Royal Palace Madrid Spain taken from the gondola

Plaza De Sol

Plaza De Sol

1 Comments:
gorgeous pictures!
whoah what an adventure :S..yikes
be well
Mary
Post a Comment
<< Home