Confidence
Ok for those that don't enjoy my family values posting you can tune out. I am sharing this for the rest of you. My son received his invitation to participate in a martial arts class. He received his invitation in 4 weeks. The school instructor told us that it was a record for the quickest time someone has ever gotten their invitation to join the leadership training program. I realized how much of an accomplishment this was when yesterday in my son's class another girl received her invitation to join the program after 1 year.
I met with the instructor to see how much the program cost. The instructor described how one of the key areas that martial arts helps kids is with their self confidence. He described how many parents use this training to instill self confidence in their kids so that when they reach middle school and high school they are prepared. Prepared to say no to bad habits and peer pressure. Prepared to do what is right even when it isn't the popular thing to do. Many parents use this training to help their kids stay on a healthy and successfully path early in their lives.
Those same pressures existed when I was a kid. This evening I began thinking back to when I was a kid. I was never embarrassed to say no. I never cared if others thought something wasn't cool. I did what I thought would allow me to continue on my path of life. This self confidence didn't come for a martial arts classes. It came from my parents. They instilled in a me the values that ultimately resulted in having self confidence.
They provided me so many examples of their courage in overcoming life's challenges. One of the earliest one's was coming to a new country with just a suitcase, fourth grade education and not being able to speak English. They both speak and write English now.
They provided me with a sense of purpose in accomplishing something better in my life. How could I not have that purpose when you see your parents accomplish so much when they had such few opportunities and started with nothing.
They provided me a sense of survival to do what needs to be done to do well in life. To work hard and do what isn't comfortable sometimes. To take the more difficult path if in the long run the result is a greater good.
Purpose, survival and accomplishment provided the foundation for the confidence I had as a kid and that I think I still have now. My parents didn't have to buy it at a martial arts studio. They learned it from their parents and then taught me. I hope that I can teach it to our kids as well as my parents taught me.
Purpose, survival and accomplishment are some of my family values.
I met with the instructor to see how much the program cost. The instructor described how one of the key areas that martial arts helps kids is with their self confidence. He described how many parents use this training to instill self confidence in their kids so that when they reach middle school and high school they are prepared. Prepared to say no to bad habits and peer pressure. Prepared to do what is right even when it isn't the popular thing to do. Many parents use this training to help their kids stay on a healthy and successfully path early in their lives.
Those same pressures existed when I was a kid. This evening I began thinking back to when I was a kid. I was never embarrassed to say no. I never cared if others thought something wasn't cool. I did what I thought would allow me to continue on my path of life. This self confidence didn't come for a martial arts classes. It came from my parents. They instilled in a me the values that ultimately resulted in having self confidence.
They provided me so many examples of their courage in overcoming life's challenges. One of the earliest one's was coming to a new country with just a suitcase, fourth grade education and not being able to speak English. They both speak and write English now.
They provided me with a sense of purpose in accomplishing something better in my life. How could I not have that purpose when you see your parents accomplish so much when they had such few opportunities and started with nothing.
They provided me a sense of survival to do what needs to be done to do well in life. To work hard and do what isn't comfortable sometimes. To take the more difficult path if in the long run the result is a greater good.
Purpose, survival and accomplishment provided the foundation for the confidence I had as a kid and that I think I still have now. My parents didn't have to buy it at a martial arts studio. They learned it from their parents and then taught me. I hope that I can teach it to our kids as well as my parents taught me.
Purpose, survival and accomplishment are some of my family values.

1 Comments:
important values for the world we live in today. I like your sense of family :)
Post a Comment
<< Home